super simple strawberry meringues recipe
Cooking and baking are two of my favourite things, especially as I am a food addict and it doesn’t count as naughty if you make it yourself, right? I also enjoy hosting things, mostly because it gives me an excuse to cook something different! (I know, I am such a Monica). Obviously I want to *impress* my guests, so often opt for something a bit woweeee.
Mother’s day this year posed a bit of a challenge for me, as I had decided I was going to bake a feast for my mum and my nan. A feast with a few stipulations, which I did a post about at the time of the dilemma. As is customary for me, going to the supermarket and getting a bunch of ready made stuff wasn’t an option. I am always so extra about these things. After much research I decided that one of the things I would try was meringues. Again, I am very extra so they had to have a twist. I decided to add strawberry to the meringue mixture for that little something extra.
Meringues are one of those things that people find a bit scary to bake. There are a few things you have to get just right for them to come out good. Usually as long as you use a comprehensive recipe and follow it correctly, even seemingly difficult things can become straightforward. I already knew the basic recipe for meringues, but adding strawberry was a bit of a risk. I didn’t know at the time how the extra liquid would affect the consistency of the mixture, or how it would react to the fruit itself. Turns out, strawberry and meringue mix go pretty well together. My mum and my nan, and all my housemates were very complimentary.
Be afraid of the meringues no longer! Here is the super simple recipe for really delicious strawberry meringues:
- 3 large egg whites
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 strawberries
- teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 120°c, 250°f, gas mark 1/2 and prepare a large baking tray with baking paper
- Puree the strawberries ready for use later. They should be a thick liquid for folding into the meringue mixture. If you're struggling to puree the strawberries add a drop of water to help your blender along.
- Whisk the egg whites up so they're fluffy, add the vanilla, then add the sugar slowly and whisk until the mixture forms stiff peaks. This will take about 15 minutes.
- Once the egg mixture is ready, carefully fold in the strawberry sauce. Try not to mix it too much - you don't want to to knock the air out, and it's kinda cool if they have wisps of strawberry.
- Dollop the mixture onto the baking tray, about 1 generous tablespoon per meringue. Pop them in the oven, checking after 1 hour, baking for up to an hour and a half.
- When you think they're ready carefully pick one up and tap the bottom. If it's solid and makes a hollow sound, the meringues are ready.
- Leave to cool and eat with a cup of coffee, or serve with strawberries and ice cream.
Pin this post: