Having not long moved house, this year’s list is a bit different from previous years. This one is a kind of finishing up of the moving process. It’s time to finally sort out those areas where things got shoved out of the way during the move. We have a lot of useful storage space, but right now it’s not being utilised properly at all. With five people in the house, it’s super important to get storage sorted. At the moment we have to do a lot of rummaging to find what we need, which is a pain especially since I am quite lazy. Life feels easier when everything is more organised because you spend less of it looking for things.
Now we’re all coming out of hibernation it feels like a good time to start thinking about making the house beautiful and organised. We’ll be spending less time lazing in bed and more time lazing about other areas of the house, and we’ll have people over more often now being outside the safety of the bed isn’t so daunting. I’m mostly looking forward to having bbqs and chilling in the garden. But there’s a lot to do before the house is perfect for spring and summer fun!
The spring cleaning to-do list
- Mow the lawn for the first time this year
- Recycle the carrier bags we never use
- Wash my winter coats and store them ready for next winter
- Clean my mattress
- Sort through my underwear drawer and get rid of anything I don’t use anymore – pair up all the socks!
- Box up the cups and glasses we don’t use and put them in the loft
- Sort through my clothes and take any I don’t wear to the charity shop
- Re-organise and clean the kitchen cupboards
- Tidy up the stuff under the bed and clean under there
- Clean the windows, inside and out
- Clean all the window sills
- Wash all the blankets and cushion covers from the living room
- Use the carpet washer on the hallway carpet
- Hoover all the hard to reach places that don’t often get done
- Beautify my bedroom – rearrange the shelves, re-hang decorations, put away or get rid of clutter
- Clear out the cupboard under the stairs, get rid of stuff or relocate it to the sheds
- Scrub the litter trays
- Sort through the cat treats and throw away anything they don’t like or is really old
- Tidy up my sewing stuff and make it more accessible so I might actually use it
- Organise the box next to my bed. It’s been full of random stuff since I moved house
- Get rid of the bags and coats/hoodies that I don’t use
- Throw away old shoes and clean up ones that look a bit grubby
- Sort out the sheds so we can keep stuff in them instead of in the house
- Make the garden beautiful ready for summer parties and relaxing
- Go through the larder and throw away old condiments and baking stuff
- Clean the Dysons – filters, tubes and dust containers
- Organise my craft stuff and take a good look at what I’ve actually got
- Clean my desk properly. Take everything off and give it a good polish.
- Throw away and cables that are a mystery. If I don’t know what they do, chances are I don’t need them.
- Sort out all the files on my laptop and back them up. They go back years and not a lot of it makes sense at the moment!
That ought to keep me busy for a while! I’m thinking that a big cleaning day will get a lot of it done, but it will take time. Especially the “getting rid of things” parts. I need to be in the right mood to part with my belongings, and I usually end up making more mess than I started with. I’ll have to try hard to beat that nostalgia!