To be honest, I’d never heard of The Liebster Award before, but I have since learnt that it’s a virtual award lovely bloggers pass on to fellow bloggers to support each other and give one another a bit of a shout out.
The Rules are as follows:
- Share 11 facts about yourself
- Answer the 11 questions you’ve been asked by the blogger that nominated you
- Nominate 11 more bloggers
- Ask 11 questions you would like those bloggers to answer
- Include and image of the Liebster Award either in your post or the sidebar of your blog
- Let them know that they’ve been nominated
11 facts about me:
- My favourite wine is rosé, specifically Zinfandel, Grenache or Pink Moscato
- I have two cats called Biscuit and Smudge. My third cat, Tiggy, lived to be 21.
- I’ve never seen the fourth Lord of the Rings
- Bed is my favourite place to be, and I love sleeping a lot. I have recently started waking up earlier though and I kinda like it because I waste less of the day.
- Despite loving bed I also love travelling. I travelled Europe last year and I’m going to Canada in July. Home is great, but I want to see the world too.
- Speaking of home, I’ve lived in the same city all my life. Even when I went to university I stayed in my hometown and got the train to uni. It wasn’t very far so it was fine.
- At university I studied politics, and in doing so realised that I didn’t want to work in politics at all. The whole world is too corrupt. There are too many secrets and lies, and often the people who want to do good are the ones who are pushed down. There are better ways to make a change in the world.
- My favourite job I had was working in Sustainability. I spent two years working in the Marketing department organising school visits, community activities, co-worker engagement, recycling and so on. Everyday I was at work I felt like I was part of an organisation that made a difference. I was crushed when that job ceased to exist and I had to move on.
- Becoming a professional blogger is my dream, and I am going to keep going until I succeed. Being paid to write would be awesome.
- Slugs are my biggest fear. They’re GROSS and I hate them a lot. The way they go all fat and pale when you go near them, how they leave a minging slime train everywhere they go, that horrid yellow goo they’re full of. ICK. They make me feel sick.
- I live with four other people, two of which I’ve known since school and one since college. Those dreams of living with your best friends when you’re older? They can come true. Our house is beautiful. I have a door in my bedroom that leads directly to our wonderful garden. This year is going to be the best ever.
Now the questions:
How did you come up with the name for your blog?
Well, in my friendship group we call each other beans as a term of endearment. I have been given the title of “the spicy bean” because I’ve got red hair and I like dat spice. My other housebeans are the feisty bean, sleepy bean, and fabulous bean. I figured that seeing as I am the spicy bean, that would be a good name for my blog.
What is your favourite book?
It has to be Nineteen Eighty Four by George Orwell.
What song do you currently have on repeat?
It’s not a specific song, but I’ve had Flyleaf in general on repeat this week. I love them. I’ve had Fire Fire in my head today.
If you made a film about your life who would you cast to play you?
Maybe Christina Hendricks. She looks like I might look if I was super pretty. I mean like, celebrity pretty with all the makeup artists and stuff. Also maybe play down the boobies a bit.
If you could go back in time to any era, which would you like to visit and why?
Probably the 1960s. I want to see what it was really like. Also I don’t think I’d want to go back much further because I’d have a serious problem with the treatment of women, and wearing a corset every day? Hell no.
Where do you see yourself in 10 years time?
Wow 10 years is a long time, it’s difficult to speculate. Ten years ago I had no idea I’d be doing what I’m doing now. If you asked 17 year old me what I’d be doing in ten years I would probably have said married with a kid or something. That’s definitely not where I’m at in life. Ten years from now I’ll be 37, so probably married with a kid but who knows? I’d like to be a professional blogger and freelance writer, living fairly comfortably and going on many adventures.
If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be?
Canada! I do want to visit lots of places, but that’s next on the list so we’ll go with that for now. I have my flights booked for July, so I’m definitely going. Last year I had the epiphany that I was fed up with always saying and never doing. So here I am doing the thing. I’m going to see Niagara falls, the Rocky Mountains. I’m going to go whale watching like I’ve always wanted to. It’s going to be amazing.
What advice would you give your younger self?
CHILL. OUT. Everything will be okay. In fact it’s more likely to be okay if you stop worrying so much all the time. Just have some fun, not everything has to be serious all the time.
What is your favourite movie of all time?
Over the Top! You’ve probably never heard of it, but you can watch it on Netflix. You’re welcome.
Why did you start blogging?
Well I’ve been blogging since I was 13 in one way or another. Going back, I think I started because I liked sharing my thoughts and experiences with people. I’ve always liked writing and at least with blogging it’s out there as and when you want to publish it. It’s a thing you can do yourself and you don’t need anyone else to approve of it first. This blog I specifically started because I wanted something that looked a bit more professional. It’s the first step on my journey to being a professional blogger. That’s not to say I write purely to make money, of course now. I’ve not made a single penny on this blog yet, and neither would I expect to. I write because I enjoy it. In fact, fourteen years later I do it for the same reasons I did when I started.
How has blogging changed you as a person?
For one thing it’s made me busier! Aside from that, it’s made me more proactive. The blogging community is so inspiring and it makes me want to do more with my life. I feel more motivated and able to get fit because of the fitness blogs out there. It’s easier knowing it’s not just my struggle, and that many people are on their own fitness journeys, and they’re all full of ideas. Same with cooking and baking. There are so many good ideas and recipes out there that I would have never come across had I not started blogging.
The next nominees…
Questions for you:
- What is your favourite thing about being a blogger?
- What pets have you had (if any) and what were their names?
- How would your typical day look?
- Now how would your perfect day look?
- Which is your favourite room in the house and why?
- If you could change one thing about who you are what would it be?
- How was your time at school?
- What are the three things you’re most thankful for at the moment?
- What’s your favourite blog post that you have written and why?
- What was the last thing you cooked or baked and how did it taste?
- Who inspires you?
I’ve really enjoyed writing this, and I hope you all do too!!!